Skip to main content

Why All Girls Should Join a Martial Art

I think its fair to say that martial arts and MMA don't really appeal to women very much.
I have talked with girls who say they find it intimidating, which I umderstand.  A girl walks into a MMA gym and sees a bunch of guys punching heavy bags, sweating, grunting, wrestling.  They see guys being slammed to the ground and being choked out and getting slapped in an arm bar; its not always a pretty sight! I've said before that most people consider these sports to be a "mans" sport.  I disagree!  If you turn on the TV and watch the sports channel or Google UFC, the first fighters to be talked about are women! Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Cristiane Cyborg, are all over the news on a daily basis and taking over the main event lists.  Its safe to say that girls are taking over what was formerly known as a "mans sport", and I couldn't be happier about it!
I firmly believe that women have a place in this sport, and why not? Women are usually more flexible, compact and from my experience as a martial artist- feisty as hell! As a instructor it always makes me smile to see my girl students toss the boys around.  I feel that martial arts is something that all women, especially young girls, should take part in and for so many reasons.  Martial arts is a knows self esteem booster and confidence builder.  This is so important for young girls.  Growing up is hard enough; I remember having a hard time fitting in, especially around the junior high age.  I felt like the confidence I got by working hard in martial arts and improving myself made me less worried about fitting in.  It allowed me to be who I really am and not be afraid if everyone doesn't like me.
Ju Jitsu was also a great way for me to stay in shape all the while getting out my teenage angst.  It was a safe place for me to get out my pent up aggression and made me feel like a happier person overall.  I read a study recently from WebMD about how teens who are more active are less prone to depression than non active teens.  Young girls are twice as likely to suffer from depression than boys.   Any activity, not just martial arts, can help as a outlet for the mind and body.
The last and for me, most important reason any girl should take a martial art is for self defense.  I'm not just talking about fights at school with other girls, I am talking about the more serious side of things.  When I moved out by myself for the first time, I was a poor country mouse loose in the city.  It was intimidating being on my own, having to walk around at night; it was unsettling at first.  However I thanked my lucky stars that I have the ability to defend myself.  Martial arts gave me confidence that if ever confronted in a bad situation, I can at least get myself out of it and away from it.  ALL young girls, whether they are in martial arts or not, NEED to take some sort of a self defense course and be taught how to throw a proper punch!
I am trying to advocate to appeal martial arts to women.  Martial arts doesn't need to be perceived as a mans sport or only for butch, scary chicks.  Its for moms, young girls, anyone who is willing to learn and become a total badass!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri