Skip to main content

Tips for Morning Workouts

When I first started working out, I discovered I had very little time after work for workouts.  Between teaching Ju Jitsu/life commitments, I found it was nearly impossible to get in gym time after work.  After a bit of struggling, I finally caved and started the morning workout routine and I've never looked back!
I will start by saying I am not the rise and shine, life is roses and butterflies type person in the morning.  I'm more of do not provoke, stand back and throw caffeine at her before 9am type.
Over time, I learned to love the morning workouts.  I can get my workout done and over with and I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
 It's not easy, but most people find that they struggle with motivation after work, so mornings are a great option.  It requires some prep work but it's worth it for a slow riser like me who already has a difficult time getting up in the morning.

I've compiled a little list of tips to help with morning workouts for non-morning people like me. 

1) Preparation
     Pack everything that you need the night before. Put your workout clothes out and prepare your bag for everything you need including stuff for a shower and work clothes if needed.  Set out everything you'll need so you can just grab, and go.  That way, you're not struggling to look for all your things in the morning.

2) Make ahead of time a quick and easy pre-workout breakfast. 
      If you're one of those people who do fasted cardio, then you do what works for you.  But it's more ideal to have some fuel in your stomach to prevent low blood sugar, nausea feelings.   A simple pre-made breakfast like smoothies are great for the night before prep or just a piece of fruit and some protein is great as well.  Then having a protein shake or meal ready for after so you can refuel.

3) Take a few minutes to warm up. 
     Even if you are time-crunched in the morning, it is crucial to warm up for a few minutes before lifting.  If not, you're asking for injuries.  Just 5-10 minutes on the elliptical or a light jog are great to get your heart rate up and muscles warm.  

4) Make a sweet playlist for the morning or set your alarm to a good song.
      Nothing is more awesome than having a motivating music playlist for the gym.  Extra tip, make sure you have your headphones in your bag and ready to go!

5) Enlist the help of a friend, either the two-legged or four-legged variety.
      If you're a person who needs the help of an external motivator, set up your workouts with a friend who keeps you on track.  Or enlist your four-legged buddy to help you get in a morning walk or run.  Bonus points for getting your puppy exercised as well as yourself!  

6) Give yourself a reward after. 
     I'm not suggesting that you go for food as the reward. Think about getting an amazing smelling shower gel that you only put in your gym bag and use to shower with after your workout or a healthy breakfast that you love.  Or save yourself a morning coffee or tea as your reward for crushing it at the gym!

7) Get to bed early. 
     This is very important if you don't get enough sleep, you won't have a great workout.  Make sleep a priority is much more important than just waking up early.  It can affect your progress so schedule in those Zzzzz's.

8) Think about your goals and how badly you want to reach them.
    When you feel like sleeping through your alarm, take a few seconds to think about those goals you have.  Think about how good you'll feel after your morning workout and how frustrated you'll be if you don't get up and get it done.    

In the end, it doesn't matter when you do your workouts, all that matters is that they get done in my opinion.  

    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri