Skip to main content

Ways I Want to Improve my Ju Jitsu

Over the last few years I have been doing more grappling then I ever have in my life.  It has me thinking about how I want to improve as a fighter.  I have been doing this for a long time, but I am far from being the best, but I always strive to do the best that I can.  I want to always be able to improve so I can be better.  I never want to walk around saying "I'm the best" because in martial arts you must have humility.  To me, saying "I am the best" means that I have reached the top of the mountain, but there is no top of the mountain, it only continues going up.
I thought of a list tonight while I was grappling Ernie about things I want to improve on.  A lot of these things happened tonight while we were fighting, which is why I thought of them!

1.  I want to do more throws and work on my throwing skills.  In the past when I fought, if my opponent went for a throw or a take down I would go with it and start my plan on the ground.  In the past year, I have made it my mission to go for attempts for throws and work on my Kuzushi (breaking of the balance).

2.  Attack more and attack smarter.  I have always been more of a defensive fighter.  I would spend most of my time defending and less attacking.  Instead I want to do more attacking as both a grappler and a striker.  I can't just attack as I want however, I need to be more calculated in my moves and plan as I go along.  Its kind of like a violent form of improv from drama class.

3.  Not getting caught in side control so much and be better at guard escapes.  This is one I thought of tonight.  I have a tendency to get caught in side control (pic below), however I am getting better at escaping. Also, I do have to work on my guard escapes and get better at thinking about more than one escape.

4.  Continue to think all throughout the fight and keep on planning my attacks.  This is one that I have been working on for a while.  I used to just stop thinking and start reacting when I fight, but I need to continually be working on my strategy.  I also need to be thinking about how my opponent will react to what I am doing.  And also watch for attacks like submissions and getting punched in the head.

5.  I need to have more confidence in what I am doing; especially when I go for submissions.  I need to be more confident in my skills and be sure when I go for an arm bar.  Ernie even said tonight that I just need to go for stuff instead of trying so hard to set it up.  I get what he's saying.

6.  I need to keep moving in both grappling and sparring and not hesitating, especially when I am tired.  When I thought of this one I immediately thought of  Bruce Lee and how he would fight; he was always continually moving and never stopping the whole time.  I always tell my kids at class, you're harder to hold down if you're moving, and I stand by that statement.

I like writing these types of things down because gives me some stuff I can improve upon.  I've got quite a few things I can think about while I am fighting.  I think about competing and wanting to walk out onto the mat for a competition and think to myself "You're going down!" and follow through with that plan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri