Skip to main content

Why I Train For Strength Over Skinny

When I began my fitness journey almost a year ago, my main goal was to be FIT!  Being fit to me meant to be strong, healthy and athletic.  
I started looking at fitness pages and websites and I noticed something different about the women on these pages versus women in most magazines and movies.  I noticed that the women in the fitness pages were "fit" over the other women who were "skinny".  Don't get me wrong, both types of women were beautiful, but there was just something different about the fitness models over the regular models.  Their bodies were defined and they had muscle!  They looked strong, like they ate well and worked hard for what they have.  These women are athletes, they lift weights, compete in sports and train.  The other women in magazines looked skinny, and frail, not athletic.  I wanted to be the former of the two.  I am aiming to be strong, athletic and healthy, not just thin.
Over the course of this past year, I have lost quite a bit of weight off of my 5'8" (ish) frame.  I've lost about 14 lbs since last Christmas going from 160lbs to about 146lbs.  I know it doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it has shown a difference.  I've had some people say to me that I look "too skinny" or make comments like "You know that 0% body fat is unattainable!"  But I think they are missing the point here which is I don't want that.  Yes, I've lost weight.  Now, because I wasn't overweight to begin with, and I don't exactly have a whole lot of muscle, it made me "skinny" so I have to lift more and heavier and work harder to build muscle.  Building muscle is a slow progress, I am just starting to see definition in my muscles over the last couple months.  I've also heard the comment "you don't eat enough", but I don't think they understand that with lifting weights and being as active as I am, I eat more now than ever before!  I've discovered that you can have both quality and quantity of food and still be healthy and happy.  I always tell people I am not a body builder, but I eat and I train like one.
Since starting to train for strength, I feel more powerful.  Partially in a "rule the universe" way, but also stronger and faster.  At Ju Jitsu, I can flip people over easier, hold my guard better and move for submissions faster.  With the progress I've gained so far in my fighting  I can't wait to see how much better I become with more time and more training!
My goal is to follow in the footsteps of many women who inspire me.  I want to help others to discover that their weight loss goals should be geared towards being strong and healthy not just skinny.  I want women to understand that lifting weights will not make you look like a man, you will look healthy and strong.  Strong, defined muscles will make curves, it does not take them away.
One of the most important things that people need to know is that you need to eat and eat well!  Food is fuel and a person needs fuel to be able to feed the muscles they are trying to grow.  Most of all, I want women to be happy and confident.  You don't need to be a size 3 to be happy, you can be happy at whatever size, but you should focus on your health as a priority.
My strive for being fit has me determined and hungry for more.  I'm so surprised at how far I've come and already how much stronger and healthier I feel.  I am looking forward to seeing what becomes of me over the next year and longer.
With this blog, I would like to launch my new website!  I have created a website from my Facebook page Fit Like a Girl where I will have this blog, as well as workouts, recipes, Ju Jitsu stuff and more!  It is just starting so I appreciate patience and constructive comments on the website.  Any recipes you like, workouts, and/or photos that inspire you, feel free to send them my way and I will add them in!  Please visit www.fitlikeagirl.ca and check it out!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri