Skip to main content

My Experience with Knee Injury

I managed to get into my doctor yesterday to have my knee looked at.  It is quite a bit less swollen compared to when I woke up on Sunday, but it is still swollen and more sore.  He doesn't think I have any major ligament damage at this time; it is either a really bad sprain or I possibly tore my meniscus.  Either way, I am thrilled that I didn't tear any of my major knee ligaments like my ACL or PCL.  My doctor explained that if I had a meniscus tear, it may heal with rest, NSAIDS (non steroidal anti-inflammatories), ice ,etc or if it's really bad, then surgery.
I like my doctor for his honesty and he never sugar coats stuff with me.  He told me flat out "Your range of motion sucks right now Jackie!" which I already knew because I still can't fully straighten my leg and I can't even bend it to a 90 degree angle.  It makes stairs a bit difficult, but I manage.  
Currently, my knee is more sore but it is manageable pain; comparable to a mild-moderate headache.  Its annoying, but it doesn't disrupt my day other than I am still walking with a slight limp.  I have been using a brace to keep it stable.  With out the brace, it feels quite weak and buckles to the inside more which hurts like hell.  It still buckles occasionally even with the brace on, especially I  try to turn on that leg.  

So in the end, I am benched for 2 weeks, no leg workouts, no running (not like I can anyway), no Ju Jitsu (boo!), NSAIDS and ice.  If it's not better in 2 weeks, then I have to go for an ultrasound to see if my meniscus is torn.  I'm a little disgruntled, but I am grateful that this may heal on its own if I behave myself.  That being said, two weeks with no leg workouts and no running is not going to help me a lot with my goals.  I am still working out, but only focusing on my core and upper body.  I can still yell at kids in Ju Jitsu class, however, the amount of things I can show them is very limited right now.  I can't even hold guard yet because twisting my knee still is quite uncomfortable.  Thank God for Ernie and he can show the moves and I can hobble around and try to help them out as best as I can.  

I'm ok not doing any serious leg workouts for at least the next 2 weeks (may be longer depending on how things go) but the no cardio thing is going to be difficult.  I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I can't really get a good sweat going on when I workout if I don't do cardio.  If I'm not sweating, than I feel like I am not really working out.  I looked into a few things and I feel like I do have some options.  I can do boxing, as long as I don't do a whole lot of foot work, or maybe in a few days I can try the spin bike on a low level at the gym.  So I will give those a try.  A lot of people suggested swimming, but I feel like that would bother my leg because of the instability in the water.  Also, I hate swimming... and I suck at it!

As much as I am disappointed about this, its not all bad.  I can concentrate on my weaker points like my arms and maybe put a bit more work into my core.  I am thankful that I did not tear any of my major ligaments which would absolutely require surgery.  In the meantime, I will get over my little "bump" in the road.  I told one of my co-workers today that I am willing my leg to heal because it doesn't have any other option.  I am much to stubborn for that!  On the advice of my doctor, I will start physio probably next week as long as the swelling is down.  I know I will be back at it soon, and I have to try and keep a good mindset and let this bugger rest!
                                                     How I feel at Ju Jitsu haha! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri