Skip to main content

Prep Day Sunday

This weekend was quite busy for us, almost too busy!  Friday night, we taught Ju Jitsu class and got in a bit of training as well as some rolling which was nice.  Saturday, we spent most of the day running around and working on our basement renovations.  I'm sure that everyone who does renovations in their house can understand; but I feel like these renos are taking over our life! We do not exactly have a lot of time during the week to work on them, so on the weekends we work on the basement from as soon as we get up in the morning, until night.  We are about one more week away from being done so we will power through.
As we all know, yesterday was Halloween.  I'd like to say that we got dressed up in cool costumes and went off to a party, but instead, we hung out at home, watched a movie and ate some pizza.  Yes, I said pizza and I had a couple glasses of wine, it was a great little treat meal while we handed out candy to the neighborhood kids.  I know it seems lame, but we actually enjoyed a night at home.  This morning, we were up like the wind and off again working on the basement.  Unfortunately, the day got away from us and we didn't get to the gym like I had wanted, but I will instead go tomorrow morning.
After we finished doing the basement stuff, we got to work on our Sunday prepping food for the week.  Sunday is our grocery shopping day, so I like to take the stuff and prep some food for the week.  I'm not quite at the point where I am pre-making every meal for the whole week, but I like to start some things to make my life a little easier.  I have certain things that we eat every day like our veggie bags and my cabbage coleslaw, so I like to prep that for the week so I can grab and go as I need.
Here is what I prepped today.

1. Spicy Italian Turkey "Muffins"
     These little guys were a bit of an experiment that turned out great!
     Preheat Oven to 375F.  Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine.  Spray a muffin tin with        cooking spray and fill each to the top with the turkey mixture.  Bake for 30-35 min.  Should make 12 Turkey "Muffins"
      Ingredients:
      1 package of ground turkey
      1/3 cup onion, diced
                                                            3 minced garlic cloves
                                                            2 eggs
                                                            1 cup oat bran
                                                            1/4 cup of Salsa
                                                            1/2 tsp of pepper
                                                            1/2 tsp of Paprika
                                                            1/2 tsp of Ground Coriander
                                                            Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
                                                            1 tbsp of Italian Seasoning

2.  Protein Muffins
     See the recipe here!







3.  Veggie Bags
      I eat these every day.  I make them so we have one for every day.  I put in basic things like carrots, peppers, broccoli, cucumber and raw zucchini.  I know the zucchini is kind of different, but give it a try!







4.  Cabbage Coleslaw
I make a huge bowl of this every week and take out of it what I need every day.  I cut up about half a head of cabbage, two grated carrots and some cut up broccoli.  I sometimes like to add some fruit, like apples or some pomegranate which gives it a bit of sweetness.  I make a dressing out of plain Greek yogurt, mustard and spices like salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.  Mustard is my ultimate condiment! I use it all the time, it tastes great and has zero calories or sugar!

5. Baked Chicken Breasts
   These speak for themselves.  Just basic chicken breasts with some spices on them baked at 375F for 35-40 min until done.  I didn't have a lot of time to do anything fancy with them today.





    6.  Steamed Veggies
    We got a steamer for our wedding and honestly, I use it all the time!  Its  much faster than roasting veggies and is easy to just throw veggies in (fresh or frozen) and have them cook while I'm doing something else.  Today I just did some butternut squash and green beans.






As you can see, healthy food prep doesn't have to be fancy.  I like to cook different and neat things all the time, but sometimes I just don't have the energy or the hours in a day to do that.  You can have simple foods and still have them be healthy and tasty! All in all, this food prep took me not quite two hours today.  Two hours out of a week is worth it to save me some headache over the next few days.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri