Skip to main content

Home Gym vs "Gym" Gym

It is debatable on whether or not you really need a gym membership to get fit.  A lot of people are intimidated by the idea of having to spend money to go and work out.  Many people find that you can workout just fine at home, no membership required!

In my fitness journey, I have done it both ways.  I've worked out at home and I've worked out at the gym.  For me personally, I have more motivation at the gym.  I realize that is not the case for all people.  
Some people are don't like the gym because of all the people and are unsure of how to use all the equipment.  They would rather workout in the comfort of their own homes.  It is not very appealing to a lot of people to get up at 5 am and head out to a frozen vehicle and drive to the gym.  It sounds much better to get up and workout in your nice and warm house.  
I understand that people are worried about going to the gym because they are uncomfortable with working out in public.  Some people don't like to workout in front of others for fear of looking stupid or unsure.  This all makes sense and it is very easy to set up a place at home for workouts. A set of Dumbbells, and a mat can make a great workout area that is conviently in your home and quite inexpensive. 

As I've said, I have tried working out at home, but I find that I work much harder at the gym.  At home, I feel like I am ADD; one minute I'm working out, the next I'm doing dishes and then I'm doing something else. At the gym, I don't have any distractions; it's just me and my workout- no dishes!  I enjoy all the equipment that the gym has. I love that the gym I go to has a running track, squat racks and lots of other equipment that I can't have in my home. 
I know a gym membership is expensive and that is a turn off for a lot of people, for me, it is a worthwhile expense.  I like the gym as my escape, it's one of my happy places. 

In the end, both a home gym and a regular gym are great. It depends on your  goals and what you are striving for.  In the end, as long as you are active, who cares where it's done!

A bit of an update on my knee. I went back to my doctor and he referred me to get and ultrasound and X-rays of my knee. I wil find out the results Monday and go from there. I am also going to start physiotherapy Monday to help. 
In the meantime, since I am still working hard on my upper body, I am seeing some cool progress, so it's really not all bad! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri