Skip to main content

Staple Foods in My Fridge

This weekend was another super busy weekend.  Friday, I had to work late which went well and Saturday, we were both up early to do some running around and then spent the day working on our basement.  We spent all day working, but managed to sneak away to the gym for a little bit to get a workout in.  I was making a great treat meal for Saturday night, so we made sure to work hard.  I did a hard shoulder workout and squeezed in a bit of core stuff too.  We came home and I made a great treat meal.  I made a huge thing of spaghetti and meatballs with homemade tomato sauce and an apple crisp for dessert.  I ate so much I felt like my stomach was going to explode; it was so great and satisfying.
Today, we worked all day again on the basement suite which we are finally finished! Yay! Now I can have some more time to finish working on my Fit Like a Girl stuff and accomplish some of the things on my to-do list!
I had to do our weekly grocery shopping like a mad woman today to get all of our food for the week.  I went to Costco to buy our meat, eggs, and yogurt for the next few weeks and then to the regular grocery store to get produce for the week.  I am quite cheap and I like to save money wherever possible so I buy all our meat, yogurt and eggs in bulk so we can save a bit of money.  Our other main staple is of course veggies, so we buy those weekly to keep them as fresh as possible.
I've gotten pretty fast at grocery shopping now.  We usually buy the same things every week so I know where to get it and about how much it will all cost.
Here are some staples in our fridge/freezer

1.  Meat:  Chicken, Cod and beef
      Our main staples are between chicken and cod, but because I am an Alberta farm girl, I need my beef!  When we have steaks we usually buy leaner cuts and we only have it about once a week.  Sometimes when we need something different, we will opt for shrimp or pork chops or pork tenderloin.

2.  Plain Greek Yogurt
     As you can see in the picture below, we eat a whole bunch of yogurt.  I will buy 12 tubs from Costco which lasts about two weeks between the two of us.  No, I am not kidding, we really eat that much yogurt between the two of us.

3.  Eggs
     If you look carefully at the picture below, you can see that there is seven and a half dozen eggs in those huge containers.  Yes, again 7.5 Dozen.  That will last us a little over two weeks!  We both eat either whole eggs or egg whites daily so that adds up to a lot.

4.  Deli Turkey
     I know, I heard the WHO statement about processed meats.  I love sliced turkey! I eat it every day for a snack.  I buy the kind that has the least amount of preservatives on the label and it is a good, lean snack.

The next few are the main veggies we keep on hand:

5.  Spinach
     I love spinach!  Ernie always jokes how I put spinach in everything and well, he is not wrong.  We buy a huge "pillow" from Superstore that will last a couple of weeks.  We put spinach in our smoothies every morning and I love to cook with it as well.

6.  Carrots
    Carrots are a huge staple in our house.  We eat them every day in our smoothies as well as in our Veggie bags and I like to cook with them.  We eat at least 5 lbs of carrots between the two of us each week.

7.  Broccoli
   Broccoli is another big staple in our house.  Like carrots, we have them in our smoothies and veggie bags as well as my "coleslaw" I eat every day.

8.  Cabbage
     Cabbage has slowly become a favorite of mine over the last while.  I love to cook with it, it is easy to cook and can last in the fridge quite a while.  I usually buy a big cabbage that will last 1-2 weeks depending on how much I feel like having it.

9.  Frozen Green Beans and Mixed Vegetables
     I like to buy veggies fresh when I can, but frozen is excellent as well.  Usually veggies are picked and frozen right away so they retain their nutrients a little better.  I love green beans, they are my favorite so I keep a huge bag of them in the freezer along with my mixed veggies that I eat every day.

And the Extras:

10.  Mustard and Salsa
      These two are my favorite condiments.  I use them both all the time to add some flavor to our foods!  We do have the main ones like ketchup, BBQ sauce etc, but we don't use them very often because of the amount of sugar in them.

11.  Cheese
       I've made my love affair with cheese pretty apparent by now.  It is something I just can't quite give up.  I don't have cheese nearly as much as I used to, maybe a couple times a week I'll add it to something, but we always have it on hand!

Of course these aren't the only foods we keep in our house, but they are some of the main things we buy all the time and eat the most often.  Ernie and I have come a long way with our diet and nutrition and have improved greatly over the last year on keeping consistent with our foods and what we take in.  As you can see, we do not starve ourselves, not do we eat anything fancy.  I know its a lot, but I feel like we keep it reasonable and we do not waste hardly any food at all.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri