Skip to main content

Why I Lift Weights

I used to be the girl who didn't like to lift weights.  I was scared of it to be honest.  I was worried that I would become too muscular.  Boy was I wrong!
When I started my fitness journey, I spent a lot of time researching on how to get the "lean and toned" look.  My goal was not to lose a bunch of weight and look skinny or thin.  I wanted to look and train like an athlete.  After a while it finally sunk in that if I wanted to achieve an athletic and strong body, I needed to start lifting weights.  I consulted with Ernie on where to get started and looked up as many articles and how-to videos as I could find.  I found the benefits and results of weight lifting to be outstanding.  I combined weight lifting sessions with cardio so I could increase my endurance for Ju Jitsu.  I know that a lot of weight lifters and body builders don't do a lot of cardio because it doesn't help with gaining, but for Ju Jitsu, I need cardio and endurance.  Weight lifting also benefits for balance, posture and coordination, which helps in so many ways in my life.   

One of the main benefits of weight lifting and strength training is obviously becoming stronger.  After even two months of adding in strength training, I felt stronger and that became the addiction.  The more muscular a person becomes, the more fit and strong they are which leads to confidence, better health and ultimately an addiction to want it.  Working out becomes a need and on rest days, I find myself thinking about working out and missing it.  We all know that working out releases feel good endorphin's which is what makes you feel great after a workout.  Weight lifting specifically releases testosterone in both men and women.  Testosterone is believed to help a women's metabolic rate and burn more calories.  Its also believed that this hormone helps people in competition, which is also what I need.  Testosterone is released more when large muscle groups are trained for example doing squats and deadlifts. 

Other than release of good hormones, increased muscle mass burns more calories.  Muscle tissue obviously burns more calories compared to fat.  An added benefit is if you burn more calories, and need to build muscle, then you can eat more!  That's an obvious benefit for me as I LOVE to eat!  Weight lifting with proper nutrition leads to more muscle which leads to burning more calories.  

The most important reason for weight lifting is the overall health benefits.  Weight lifting, working out and eating right can clearly make you a healthier person.  Working out can decrease cardiovascular and metabolic diseases such as hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.  It also helps with bone density which is very important to women whom are prone to osteoporosis.  Working out consistently throughout adult life can help counteract negative effects of aging.

For me personally, I like to lift free weights.  Free weights compared to machine weights is better for balance and offers more natural movements.  I don't swear off machine weights completely, I use them for certain workouts.  Free weights is better for explosive strength which is what I need for Ju Jitsu.  

Skinny is not the goal, strong is the goal!
Legs are coming slowly but surely :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri