Skip to main content

My Favorite Snacks in a Day

I actually brought my lunch to work today! Winning!
Eating is very important for me in a day, I spend a lot of time preparing and working on my diet so I can get the best nutrition possible for my goals.  I do measure my food for the most part so I can get the proper amount of protein in a day.   I aim for about 1.2g of protein per lb of body weight so I make sure that I have some form of  protein with each snack I have.  At first measuring my food was confusing and tedious.  Now that I've been doing it for a while, I know what I need and how I like to break it all up.  I'm still learning and researching the best way to get optimal nutrition for my goals, and this been working well for me.  I'm very happy with my results thus far.  We've all heard the saying that muscles are fed in the kitchen, not at the gym; which from my experience is very true.  It wasn't until I started to make some real changes with my diet that I started to notice the results I have been getting.
I've said before that every night I make my lunch and put it in the fridge for the next day.  I like leftovers so when I make dinner, I make double servings so we have food for our lunches the next day.  I'm quite particular about what I put into my lunch and I eat the same snacks every day with a few variations.  For my snacks, I usually have some sort of vegetable and protein, if its post workout then I will usually throw in some grains like oat bran or plain oats.

Here are my typical snacks that I love and eat almost every day:

1.  Frozen veggies and plain greek yogurt with chia seeds:
      This is usually my first actual meal of the day, except if I work out in the morning.  I just get the peas, carrots, corn and green bean mixed veggie bag that I put into a container and warm up in the microwave in the morning.  Usually I have this snack around 9 am depending on how hungry I am.

2.  Oat bran scramble
      This recipe I got inspired by Pauline Nordin and I eat it once I get to work on days when I workout before work.  It gives me some quick post workout carbs and I'll eat it with my frozen veggies.  Its super easy to make: 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup of Oat Bran, pumpkin pie spice, and some grated 100% unsweetened dark chocolate and a small amount of stevia.  I mix it all together and add 1/8 cup of water to it and scramble it all up in a frying pan.  It looks like vomit, but it tastes good!

3.  Mixed veggie bag and sliced turkey
     I make my veggie bags for Ernie and I on the weekend.  Its my Sunday ritual to cut up and make 10 veggie bags for the week so we each have one ready to go in our lunches.  I also buy turkey that has the least amount of preservatives and sodium that I can find.

4.  Cabbage "coleslaw" and Oat Bran Eggs
     My cabbage coleslaw is also something that I make on Sundays.  Its just shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, cut up broccoli and cauliflower.  I mix it all up and add mustard and Mrs Dash to it.  I put it in a huge bowl in the fridge and take what I need for each day.  Usually I have the coleslaw with my oat bran eggs which is just 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup of oat bran mixed together and scrambled in a pan.  I warm it all up in the microwave and this is my pre workout or pre Ju Jitsu meal before I leave work.

5.  Easy Apple "not-so-crisp"
      This one I like when I feel like I want a snack or something sweet.  Its also easy to make: 1 apple cut up, 1/2 cup of oats, pumpkin pie spice, stevia and 1 tablespoon of cocoa.  I mix it all in a bowl with a bit of water and warm in the microwave for 1 minute and its ready to eat.  Again, looks like vomit but tastes great!

 I eat usually every 2-3 hours in a day which is when I start to feel hungry.  Having foods that are healthy and that I like are crucial so I avoid getting bored or tempted to eat other stuff.


My Lunch for tomorrow: Smoothie, yogurt, mixed veggies, turkey,
cabbage "coleslaw" with oat bran eggs, & sweet potato, quinoa cakes with cod 
You've gotta eat! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri