Skip to main content

Do's and Don't of Working Out With Your Significant Other

This past weekend Ernie and I were able to hit the gym and workout together. I've talked about before how we are always each others partners for Ju Jitsu (see Blog), but it's become very rare now that we actually go to the gym to run and lift weights together. We used to go together all the time, but since our schedules have been so hectic, we only workout at Ju Jitsu. However, this weekend we were able to hit the gym together twice. We did our cardio together on Saturday, then split up to conquer our own weight training. On Sunday, we did cardio again then did abs together.
I had forgotten how much I enjoy working out together. I've found that working out with your spouse or even a friend has its advantages. For example, when it comes to running, with Ernie I go a lot harder than I normally do. Ernie is a very good runner, he is fast and can go for forever.  I admit I am jealous because I am not a fast or long distance runner.  Because of my competitive nature, I push myself to run faster and harder with him. I can rarely keep up with him, but that won't stop me from trying.  
There are many different good things about starting a fitness and diet routine with a partner. I've found that we keep each other on track with our diets better because we are both committed. We also encourage each other while working out. I remember when we did the Spartan race in June, practically the only reason I actually finished the race was because of Ernie. When I felt like I couldn't go on anymore, he was a few steps ahead of me telling me to keep going.  
Personally, I do prefer to workout by myself most of the time. Normally when Ernie and I go to the gym together we do cardio and a few things together then go off in different directions for a while.  That way we can do what we want and it works well for us.

I've created a quick do and don't list for working out with your significant other.

DO- Make a plan.  Ask your workout partner beforehand what their plan is for working out and you can decide to either coordinate or do your own thing.
DON'T- Be afraid to try something new.  Maybe try what you partner enjoys.  Try a yoga class or hit the weights with them.  You may find something that you really enjoy.  This is how I got started lifting weights!

DO- Be encouraging.  Talk each other up and give compliments.  If one partner has more knowledge about a certain exercise then help them out.  Give them tips on their form.
DON'T- Be too critical.  In other words, think before you talk and don't sound demeaning or make fun of them.  There is a fine line between helping and being a dick.

DO- Work hard and actually work.  Sure its a good way to catch up and spend time together, but you're at the gym to accomplish something.  If you find that your partner is too much of a distraction, then maybe its best to work by yourself.  Go ahead and do your own thing and go work by yourself.  There is nothing wrong with that.
DON'T- Talk too much and follow your partner around like a gym bunny and not actually do anything.  I've seen a few of these girls at the gym.  They follow their partner around from station to station, but don't actually do anything themselves.  Don't be that girl!  Don't be afraid to do your own thing.

DO- Push yourself.  This works for me in that I engage in some healthy competition in my mind with Ernie.  I think "If he can run another lap, so can I" or "if he can do another set of sit ups so can I".  Use your partner as a motivator for yourself.
DON'T- Hurt yourself.  Know your limits, if you are a lot less muscular or smaller stature than your partner is then don't try to lift as much as they do.  Don't be dumb, set realistic expectations.

And the most important thing to remember:
DO this for yourself, to better yourself, make yourself happier and feel better.  DON'T do it because you feel they want you too or maybe they would be happier with you if you were in better shape.  That is no way to think.  You're doing this for you and you only!


After the Spartan Race                        And after a hike





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri