Skip to main content

Past Fitness Failures

Before I started this fitness journey, I was the master of yo-yo working out.  What I mean by that is I would workout semi-consistently 2-3 times a week for about a month, then find some sort of an excuse and stop for a month or so and then start back up again.  I never dedicated myself or pushed myself beyond that. During my yo-yo times, I would watch what I eat more carefully and then not so much.
I've been wondering lately why I could never seem to stick with eating right and working out consistently, and I think I've figured out a few reasons for my past failures.  
One of the reasons that I never thought to start and stick with working out continually is that I always had a good metabolism.  I was that kid who was always pretty lean and could eat whatever I wanted.  I was decently active for most of my life so I figured that my metabolism would always carry me over.  It wasn't until I moved out on my own and didn't change my eating habits, that I started to gain weight.  I never gained enough that I was overweight or risking my health; but my pants didn't fit right, my shirts were too tight.  This started around the age of 21.  I never really realized it though until last Christmas that I needed to make a change.

Another reason for my past fitness failures is that I never set any goals for myself.  I always thought I wanted to "look toned" but I never really put forth the real effort that it took to get that.  I never laid myself out a plan and we all know that if you don't plan, then plan to fail.  I would get discouraged from not seeing results right away and my discouragement would take part in my failure to succeed.  I never really forced myself to plan and commit to a change.  I know it sounds very school yard corny, but to be able to succeed, a person needs a plan of attack and to set out goals.  Which leads me to my main point.

The biggest reason for my previous failures is that I had a serious lack of knowledge.  I didn't take the time to research the best ways to get healthy and become fit.  I didn't know about weight lifting, I just assumed that if I started weight lifting that I would get too muscular.  Instead, I would do mostly cardio thinking that it was enough of a leg workout and do only ab workouts thinking that it would build the cheese grater abs I desired.  I had no clue what it took to actually get the results I wanted.  It makes sense now why I never saw any real changes from working out because I wasn't weight lifting and building muscles to force them to change.  It wasn't until I started to read fitness articles and really look into weight lifting that it clicked with me what I had to do.  I started slowly and I still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I'm finally on the right track. 

As much as I didn't know about what to do for working out, I was clueless as well about nutrition and diet.  Like I said before, I always had a pretty good metabolism and I ate decently healthy.  When I moved out on my own I enjoyed learning more about cooking.  I ate a lot of pasta, breads, etc.  I stuck to whole wheat which is better than just plain white pasta and breads but I was simply eating too much of it and not enough vegetables.  I would also eat one or two granola bars each day which they have a lot of sugar in them so that did not make any changes.  I would have drinks anywhere from 3-5 nights a week which we all know the empty calorie content of alcohol.  I never changed my diet so I never saw any real results.  I always thought I would need to practically starve myself to lose weight.  I would try to eat super healthy and then get bored or frustrated and go back to regular habits.  I've written before about how changing my diet made the biggest difference.  I played with my diet until I found what works well for me and then I started to see real results! 

Looking back, I still wish that I would have put in the time and energy to really force myself to make a change.  However, maybe its a good thing that I failed several times before because I have now proved to myself that it is possible to change and it is possible to motivate and dedicate yourself to being fit.  It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out how to eat properly and workout; but it does take some serious will and maybe a bit of stubbornness to put your mind to it.  Now that I am on my fitness journey, I am more focused on long term goals that the short term issues don't bother me as much.  I still get discouraged from time to time, but I have changed my mentality that I know if I keep persisting that I will eventually get to where I want to go.   































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri