Skip to main content

My Skin Rules for Healthy Skin

I am not exactly what someone would call a beauty expert by any means.  I am not girly enough of a girl to have makeup how-to's or hair tutorials.  That being said, I do try to take care of my skin as much as possible, in hopes I can keep it as healthy and age well!
I've been told many times that I have nice skin.  To me, its a big compliment, especially when I am not wearing makeup.  I have noticed since I started taking my health seriously, my skin has improved greatly!

So here are my personal rules or things I do to take care of my skin.

1.  I eat lots of veggies and cut out the crap!
      We all know that eating healthy is great for keeping a healthy body weight as well as upkeep of our internal organs.  Remember that your skin is also an organ, therefore it also benefits from healthy eating.  There aren't a whole lot of studies that I could find on a direct link between food and skin damage, but the general consensus is that proper eating of vitamins, minerals and protein helps with skin cell growth and repair.  Therefore, eating healthy does have great benefits on skin health.

2.  I drink a lot of water and not a whole lot of alcohol.
     I try as much as I can to drink lots of water.  I can't honestly say I keep track, but I have a liter water bottle I carry with me everywhere I go and fill several times per day.  Water hydrates the skin, and helps keep it moisturized.  I am prone to dry skin, so I try to drink lots of water to keep it under control, especially in the winter.
I am not saying that I cut out alcohol completely  I still love beer, wine and having a good time.  But I have cut it out dramatically since I started my fitness journey and if I do drink, its usually not a whole lot.  Alcohol as we all know dehydrates your body and therefore your skin.

3.  Try to get lots of sleep.
      I am a sleep crazy person.  I am literally in bed by 9:15pm during the week and on weekends I don't stay up late very often.  I am also prone to dark under eye circles (thanks Mom & Dad for those genetics!).  When I say under eye cirles, I don't mean cute little circles from not sleeping enough occasionally, I mean I chronically have dark circles and if I don't sleep enough, it honestly looks like I've gotten punched in both eyes.  I also notice if I don't sleep enough, I have more zits and red splotches on my face.  Therefore for me, sleep absolutely benefits my skin.  

4.  I keep makeup to a minimum.
     I've made it pretty clear that I don't wear makeup every day.  This is because of a few reasons.  One, is at my jobs I am either constantly being licked by dogs or I am teaching Ju Jitsu.  At Ju Jitsu, I don't like to wear makeup because I sweat and I don't like to get makeup on other people's Gi's.  Another reason is that makeup makes me prone to breakouts, I've found the more makeup I wear, the more I break out.  The last and probably most truthful reason is I am lazy in the mornings.  I'd rather sleep in the extra five minutes than put on makeup to go to work.
When I do wear makeup, I like to keep it as simple as possible and not too much.  Its just what works for me, for those girls who like to play with makeup and spend the time, all the power to you!

5.  I wash my face twice daily and exfoliate twice weekly
     I am as religious about this as I can possibly be.  Some days I am too tired to wash my face before bed, but I will at least use an Oxy pad to wipe my face.  I don't usually use any crazy face wash, normally I just use a skin cleansing bar of soap.  I will use an acne exfoliating cleanser a couple times per week to get rid of excess cells and debris on my face.  I also always remove my makeup before bed when I do wear it.

6.  I use moisturizer every day.
    I said before I religiously wash my face every day.  After I wash my face, I will use an Oxy pad to prevent acne, which has helped dramatically since I started using them.  I also moisturize my face every morning to help keep my face from drying out.  I live in Alberta, meaning for six to eight months of the year, it is cold and dry and our summers aren't much more humid.  Therefore, I find that moisturizer helps with that.

7.  I workout and therefore sweat, A LOT!
     Ok, so we all know that exercise has tons of benefits for your health and body.  So many benefits, I have pretty much created a blog and a business about it!  By exercising and increasing our heart rates, blood flow to the skin increases and therefore better delivery of oxygen and nutrients.  This is what gives us our "glow" post workout as well as a good old sweat!  Sweating releases the build up in your pores.  I found I have to wash my face after a workout pretty quick or the sweat just settles on my face and I breakout.

8.  I wear sunscreen
      I wear sunscreen quite a bit, especially during the summertime and my daily moisturizer has sunscreen in it.  I know its not a lot, but its nice to have some every day.  I also have naturally darker skin so I tan quite easily, but since I've gotten older I also burn easier than I used to.  Therefore I try to wear sunscreen when I am outside as much as possible and I wear a hat quite often.  I love to be outside, so I know I need to protect my skin so I can avoid premature aging.  I also have a family history of Melanoma and an uncle who died from it; naturally I am terrified of skin cancer.  I realize the risk of too much UV exposure, so I avoid tanning beds like the plague.  I don't care who you are, and I know that some people might be offended, but tanning beds increase your risk of skin cancer dramatically.  So, just avoid tanning beds, ok!

My skin isn't perfect, but I try to take as best care of it as possible just like I take care of my health and my body.  I am comfortable with not wearing makeup and going with my natural skin the way it is.

                                         So here you go, no makeup, no filter.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri