Skip to main content

Embarassment at The Gym

I've heard many different excuses for people not wanting to go to the gym.  I've heard they have no time, no motivation, they hate working out, etc.  One excuse that actually surprises me is that people feel embarrassed to go to the gym because of their weight and what people will think of them.  They are afraid to go to the gym because they are insecure about what they look like and feel like they are being stared at or judged.
It bothers me that people really think that other people at the gym are staring and judging them.  I know for myself, I am usually so lost in my own little world in my workout, I hardly notice there are other people even at the gym!  If I do notice an overweight or out of shape person at the gym, I think that is awesome because they are striving to better themselves and their lives, which is the same reason I am there!

So, I thought I could do everyone a public service and alleviate some of the worries of making an ass out of yourself at the gym.  It happens to everyone, including myself... So here's my story!
This is one of my most embarrassing moments that happened a couple years ago.

I was at the gym on a Tuesday for my usual leg day.  I was almost done my workout so it was a little after 6 am.  Truth be told, I am still half asleep, so I have my music cranked in my headphones trying to suck some motivation out of it.  I'm doing my usual workout stuff and lost in my own little world when I have a guy approach me.
I am the type of person who hates being approached at the gym.  First, I have my music cranked so I have to rip out my headphones and go, "What?!" because I can't hear anything they are saying to me. Second, it disrupts my workout and I am not a chatty person, especially at 6am!  That being said, this guy approaches me, I am guessing he's about my age.
I quickly rip my headphones out as he approaches and says, "yeah?"  He very quietly replies to me, "I am sorry, but I have to tell you, your pants are totally see through."
My mouth completely dropped open, my face turning bright red and my ears started to burn from embarrassment!  I was frozen in humiliation, the only thing I could stammer out was, "ok! Good to know..."  You know, trying to play it off all cool and shit.
In my brain, I am freaking out!  I looked down, I am wearing black leggings that I bought from frickin Wal-Mart about six months ago and cost me about ten bucks, and apparently they are f**king see through.... and I am wearing bright pink underwear that has black hearts all over it... and apparently unbeknownst to me, flashing my ass all over the gym!

The span that this took to go through my head was about five seconds.  Five seconds of a look of horror on my face while this guy was staring at me.
He incidentally took my look of sheer horror as I was offended.  Then he started to stammer, "No! It's not that I was looking... I just- I just thought you'd... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" And then he walked away, leaving me with my mouth gaping open, still the look of horror and humiliation on my face!

The only thing I could manage to say as he walked away was, "Its ok, good to know, thanks."
As I watched him walk away, I started reeling in my brain thinking of all the times I wore these stupid leggings to the gym and how many bright coloured pairs of underwear I have flashed all over the gym!
I promptly left the gym and seriously considered leaving town and joining the underwear flashing Witness Protection Program.  I figured I could start a new life somewhere that no one has seen my bright pink and black heart underwear!  Instead, I ran home and threw those trouble making leggings in the trash!

Now, many people would think I would have been offended by this guy approaching me like that, but I wasn't.  I was actually quite grateful that this poor guy had the guts to come to tell me, and I felt bad that I ended up making him feel like an ass.
If he hadn't told me that my pants were see-through I would have just went about my life with my ass and bright underwear being flashed all over the world!  I realize that he couldn't help but notice that my pants were see through.  I am pretty sure everyone in the gym noticed and saw what was going on, he was the only person to actually be kind enough to say something to me and save me from further humiliation!  So to guy who pointed this out to me if you're out there, I thank you and you're a good guy!

So there, that is my super humiliating story.  I told this last night to my mom and sisters and watched them laugh their asses off at me and they encouraged me to write about it.  I hope my humiliation and embarrassment can help someone to alleviate their own stress and worries about going to the gym.  They are right, embarrassing moments happen to everyone at the gym.  You might do something stupid, say something stupid, or whatever, but never be embarrassed to be at the gym because of your shape, weight, size, or what you're wearing- unless it's see-through!











Looking for help with your own fitness journey?  Click on the picture below to view the Fit Like a Girl's website or email me at jackie@fitlikeagirl.ca







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri