Skip to main content

Ju Jitsu Seminars and Learning

We had a busy weekend filled with Ju Jitsu and family time.

Friday was our usual, teaching kids class and training; then Saturday we went to a Ju Jitsu seminar at KP that was put on by mine and Ernie's Sensei, Joseph.
Joe was our Sensei who brought us up to black belt level and now we instruct what he taught us.  It was awesome this past Saturday to have so many of our martial arts family members come out to learn some of what he taught us over the years.  I felt like it was a great refresher to practice drills and moves we've forgotten about or haven't worked on lately.
One of my favorite things we worked a lot on was doing lots of throws!  When I was a younger martial artist, I hated drilling throws.  They were difficult for me, I could never get the timing right or I was too small to be able to move a person around enough to knock them off balance.  I never really did realize the importance of being able to do a great take down or a throw until I got older.
As much as I hate to say it, I used to be the person that would drop to guard.  It was easy, convenient and I didn't have to fight for the take down.  Now that I am older and more experienced, when I see someone just drop on their ass to pull guard, I cringe!  This happens a lot at tournaments when people are under pressure and don't want to risk going for the take down.  I feel like a lot of martial artists now don't understand how important stand up game is.  To me, dropping to guard shows a lack of skill.  Anyone can just drop on their ass to pull guard, but not everyone can get the take down or a throw.
This is why I love the style of Ju Jitsu we do so much because it is so versatile.  We can do the take downs, throws, groundwork and submissions.  I've been finding lately that we focus so much on the groundwork, that throws sometimes get thrown to the wayside.  This is why I enjoyed the day so much.  It was great to see our teammates learn more of the Judo style throws.  

This weekend coming up, we are attending a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminar which I am very much looking forward to.  I am looking forward to learning more about BJJ and some of the awesome ground work they are so famous for.

I do believe as a martial artist it is important to expand and learn more about other martial arts.  It is never a bad thing to go outside of what your primary martial art education and learn from others.  People don't realize that all the martial arts out there are all so different in their own ways.  All martial arts have their strengths and weaknesses, which is why it's so important to have a wide range of skills, rather than just a few.  Hence why I like MMA, because it challenges us to use more skills than what we would have if we just stuck with Judo or BJJ or Karate or whatever.  I like to be able to use as many of my skills as possible and improve on certain skills I lack at. 

The Kamikaze Punishment Crew! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri