Skip to main content

Top 12 Foods in My Diet

I wanted to clear something up.  I know that I use the term "diet" a lot.  I realize that to most people when they hear the word diet, they think of starvation, sadness and deprivation.  However, when I use the term "diet" I use it by its very definition which means the foods that a living being habitually consumes.  I use the term diet as what I eat, not indicating that I starve myself with terrible and depriving habits.

That being said, I do eat relatively the same foods almost every day.  You'd think that it would get old after a while, but when I use different spices and combinations, it can be made interesting.  I also love to use my treat meal on weekends as a way to satisfy my cravings and keep myself from feeling deprived and sad.  Who wants to go through life being sad about what you eat?!

These are main staples that I eat almost every day and here they are and why!

1.  Chicken breasts
      Chicken breasts are simple and versatile.  They are high in protein and lower in fat compared to a chicken thigh.  Spices, herbs and different cooking methods can change them so much that you can have different chicken breasts every day of the week!

2.  Fish
      I know that some people are not fish lovers, but I am.  I like cod or tilapia or trout because again, it's super easy and fast to make.  Chicken breasts can take quite a while to cook either in the oven or in a pan, but fish cooks up really easily.  Cod is low in fat, and in calories and also helps supply essential vitamins like B12

3.  Oat Bran
       Oat bran is best described by me as the big bad brother of oatmeal.  Oat bran is the outer husk of oats.  It is overall less in calories, but higher in protein and in fibre than oatmeal.  Oat bran is also a significant source of many vitamins and minerals including potassium, Vitamin B and zinc.  Its also cheap, so win-win!

4.  Egg whites
     Egg whites are another staple in my diet.  I like to have egg whites over whole eggs because they are over half the calories of a regular egg.  I know some people worry about the added fat and cholesterol of a whole egg because of the yolk, but that isn't my primary concern at this moment.

5.  Fresh veggie bag
     This one is a generalization, I make a large veggie bag every day with carrots, peppers and snap peas as my main staple.  I also like to add cucumber and zucchini.  I eat about a big bag of veggies every day, these are the veggie bags I usually prep on Sundays.  I'm not even going to start on the benefits of fresh veggies because I'd be here all night, but it is easy, low calorie and filling!

6.  Greek Yogurt
      I have plain Greek yogurt every day.  It is high in protein, not too high in calories, zero fat, and contains calcium.  I'm not much of a milk drinker so I rely on yogurt to give me some calcium in a day.  It is also a great alternative for sour cream in dips and on tacos!

7.  Apples and other fruit
     I've loved apples since I was a kid.  My family dubbed me an "apple monster" as a child.  I still love them to this day.  I also love other fruits and berries.  I don't need to go over the benefits of fruit.

8.  Cabbage/Leafy greens
      I eat leafy green veggies such as cabbage, kale, spinach, etc on the daily.   These foods are very low in calories, filling and can be tasty depending on how you cook it!  I realize that cabbage might not be everyone's favourite because it can be hard on the digestive system if you catch my drift!  But you can find ways to cook these foods to make them tasty and enjoyable.

9.  Frozen mixed veggies
      Cheap, and easy.  Need I say more?  Frozen veggies are a simple way for me to get my much-needed veggies in, without breaking the bank.  Veggies that are frozen are picked at the ripest and flash frozen to help keep their nutritional value.  And when its winter in Alberta, there is not exactly a lot of inexpensive options for fresh vegetables, so frozen is a huge help.

10.  Protein Powder
       I want to make something clear, I do not use protein powder as a "miracle food".  It does not magically make me gain muscle like crazy nor does it magically help me lose weight, but it does provide a convenient source of protein for me post workout until I can get an actual meal in me. 

11.  Cocoa Powder and Stevia (sweetener)
       I know it not really a food, but I love to use cocoa powder paired with stevia in things like protein muffins, and greek yogurt or oatmeal to give me a bit of a chocolate fix.  Many people worry about the health effects of using sweetners.  Stevia comes from a plant and is fine to use a little every day.

12.  WATER!
      This one is obvious and again not really a food!  I try to drink as much water as I can in a day.  And because I drink so much water, my co-workers automatically assume that I am in the washroom when they can't find me because it feels like I have to pee all the time!  Water has so many amazing benefits to your body and you need it to keep yourself hydrated, so drink up!

Bonus 13.  Coffee and Tea
     Again, I know not foods, but pleasures of mine.  I've heard of people starting fitness regimes and cutting out coffee because they are concerned about the caffeine negative side effects.  I understand that, but for me I enjoy coffee, so I have coffee.  I like to drink my coffee in the morning after I'm done my workout and I now need to get into work-mode.  I also like to have a tea in the afternoon on most days.  I enjoy green tea and I drink it black, same as my coffee.  Again, I drink it because I enjoy it.

As you can tell, I eat a lot of vegetables and lean proteins.  I do eat grains as well, mainly before/after a workout when I need a boost of carbs and protein at the same time.  I enjoy my carbs because they serve a great purpose.
I like to enjoy my foods and I like to cook so I'm not eating the same chicken and broccoli every single day.  I like to add lots of spice and try making things different whether its pan-fry, bake, broil, steam, stir-fry, etc.  You can eat healthily AND still enjoy your food too!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri