Skip to main content

How To Get Started

When I first started working out, I honestly had no idea how to get started. I didn't know what workouts to do, what foods to eat if I should do cardio or more weights, how often I should go to the gym; my questions went on and on.

Through a lot of trials and a bit of error; starting & stopping; eating healthy and eating garbage, I finally brought myself to now.  Now that I've been doing this seriously for the past few years and take this on as my career, I always tell people I wished I started years before. I wish back then, I would have just committed to it, rather than spend 4-5 years of on and off working out and getting nowhere!

As a personal trainer, I hear all the time from people that they want to start working out and eating better, but they don't know how or where to start.  With all the information out there on the internet and most of it is contradicting, it's hard to find out what really works.  Do you cut out gluten? Eat more protein?  Eat fewer carbs?  Will weights make me bulky?  Who is it I do hours on the treadmill and still have not lost a pound?  It is exhausting.
So based on my experience for myself and my clients, I put together a list of how to get started.  No bullshit, no fads, just some easy things to do.

1.  Get a pair of runners for working out.
     You don't need an expensive pair of fancy shoes, but having a separate pair of shoes is essential.  These shoes are what you put on when you're ready to crush your workout or go for a jog.  Don't wear your shoes you wear every day, get some for working out with some good arch support and are made for exercise.

2.  Make small, permanent changes to your diet.
      Over the past few years, I've changed the way I eat completely, but it was a gradual change over time.  If I changed all of it at once, there is no way I would have stuck to it.  I started slowly, making myself bring lunches every day and I was only allowed to buy my lunch once weekly.  Then, I added a veggie bag for every day; which slowly got bigger over time.  After that, I cut out granola bars and sugary cereals and replaced it with a protein snack.  I slowly cut out sugar and cream from my coffee.  I ate less fatty meats, and more lean, meats like chicken breast and fish.
Making the smaller transitions made it easier to want to stick to, because they were changes I wanted to make as I went along and saw more progress.  I changed things, then I would change them again as I saw fit.  I've found what works for me, and I will continue to try to do better if I find it.

3.  Download a food tracker app

      This is something I recommend it to everyone!  It is a real eye-opener when you see what you're eating right before your eyes.  Before, I was guestimating how much I was eating per day and I knew I wasn't doing it right.  I downloaded "My Fitness Pal" its a free app that includes every food I can think of and even some from restaurants.  I put in my information and goals, it figured out how many calories I needed per day and I could play around with my macros to suit my needs.
Keep in mind, it's never 100% accurate, I checked my calories with several sources online to double check and it was pretty concise across the board.  It gives me a good idea of how many calories and helps keep track of my macros, which is something that boggled my mind.  This takes the guessing game out of it!

4.  Get a kitchen scale
      I got one for about $15 and I use it every day.  It helps again with figuring out my macros so I know exactly how much I am eating.  I realize it sounds tedious- and it is- but being able to measure out actually helps me make sure I am eating ENOUGH.  Do I measure everything now all the time?  No, but because I did measure my food for a while, I started to learn what actual portions look like whereas before, I didn't know what a proper portion was. 

5.  Log your workouts
      I suggest getting a journal or downloading an app to help track your workouts.  Logging your workouts is awesome to look back and see your improvements as well as weaker points that may need some work.  I never realized until I started logging my workouts that my back is a weak point for me.  I had a hard time progressing, so logging my workouts and writing notes helped me find what I can do to progress farther. 

6.  Lift those weights!
      I am pretty sure I have mentioned this in almost all my blogs, but ladies- lift them damn weights!  I can't explain how important this is.  At least 2-3 times per week is ideal for weight training to see results.  If you have trouble remembering why you need to lift weights see Here, and HERE  and HERE.  So, just lift that weight-OK?!

7.  Do the cardio too!
      Yes, cardio is important.  If your goal is to increase fitness and your aerobic capacity, cardio is needed.  However, you do not need to spend hours on the treadmill.  Personally, I do anywhere from 10-20 minutes per workouts depending on how much time I have.  However, I do a few days a week usually do some form of workout at Ju Jitsu which includes cardio like grappling or boxing, but that is not everyone.  Adjust for your own goals.

8.  Don't be afraid to ask for professional help
      Whether it would be from a personal trainer, your doctor or a registered dietitian, don't be afraid to get some assistance if needed.  If you have no idea where to begin for working out, it's a great idea to seek out a personal trainer, even just for a few sessions to get yourself started.  Maybe you're not sure what workouts are safe for you, talk to your doctor.  Have no idea how to change your diet, talk to a dietitian.  These people are there at your disposal for help, so utilize them, your health will thank you!

9.  Be active most days of the week
      This is a very general rule, but an easy one to follow.  Make sure the majority days per week, are somehow active.  This does not mean you need to be in the gym sweating it out 5-7 days per week-unless you want to.  It could mean you hit the gym 3 days per week and take the kids swimming or to the park one day per week.  It could mean every day you take the dog for a half-hour walk and then hit the gym 2-3 times per week.  It could mean you join a sports team or take a dance class (or Ju Jitsu!).  Just do something most days of the week; and again as said in #6, lift weights at least 2-3 times per week.




Want to stay up to date with exclusive Fit Like a Girl content, offers and deals? 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri