Skip to main content

My Personal Fitness Journey Part 1

I had a good day today, well that is for a Monday.  Work went swell and I got some very good training in today.  Right after work on Mondays I head straight to a MMA Gym where the hubs and I teach a kids Ju Jitsu class, then after we train.  I had a good half hour grappling match with a good friend of ours that I haven't rolled with in a long time.  FYI grappling or "rolling" is a term used for fighting where we use throws, hold downs, submissions, chokes, etc.  When someone refers to "rolling" they usually are going pretty easy and light, not out to kill each other.
Any how so I wanted to highlight a few things that led me to my fitness journey here.
Like I said before I started being serious about working out in Jan 2015.  I have always worked out but more intermittently.  I would work out consistently for a month, then stop, then start, etc!
My turning point was after Christmas and New years of last year.  2014 to say the least was one hell of a year and it brought me to my breaking point.  I started 2014 engaged and super excited for planning the wedding and up until July it was going swimmingly! We had all the details planned out and we were going to take the summer to chill and relax.  However my world was turned upside down when my grandfather un-expectantly passed away the beginning of July.  I am fortunate enough in life that up until that point I had both sets of grandparents alive and well, so this sent me reeling.  We pushed through the funeral and summer taking it one day at a time.  I still had a wedding to plan, so I drowned myself in finalizing the details and pushed working out to the wayside.
Finally the summer was almost over and we were 2 weeks from the wedding, Ernie and I got back into a bit of a fitness routine so I could look good in my dress (but still look like myself!).  One day, 2 weeks before the wedding, Ernie got a call from his mom, his beloved uncle- her brother- died of a heart attack that afternoon. To say the least, a death 2 weeks before the wedding was STRESSFUL!  You see, Ernie didn't have a dad growing up, so this uncle was his dad, he took him in as his own son and taught him good values and what it means to be a man.  He was not just any uncle, he was the best thing Ernie had for a dad. So the week before our wedding at the same church we were to get married in, we gathered for the funeral of the man whom was to be front and center of the first row at our wedding.
Our wedding gladly went off with out a hitch, we celebrated a mini honeymoon in Jasper in the gorgeous mountains in a cabin for a few days and returned to normal life.  However, 2 weeks after our wedding, we got another call.  This time Ernie's Aunt (the wife of the uncle that died) passed away, again very suddenly.  So again 3 weeks after our wedding in the very same church we got married in, another funeral and it devastated Ernie's family to lose the two matriarchs of the family in 1 month.
The rest of the fall went ok as we picked up the pieces of our lives and headed into Christmas.  I had fallen totally off the bandwagon for fitness and Christmas was filled with deep fried turkeys, cakes, drinks, chocolates etc.  Christmas is my favorite time of the year so I for sure over-indulged!
After Christmas, Ernie and I escaped to the mountains again for some snowboarding (or snow falling for me, I'm still working on it!) and again, more over-indulgences with too much beer and good food.
After the new year came I was not feeling good about myself.  I felt bloated, out of shape and not thrilled with the way I looked or performed at Ju Jitsu.  We had been teaching all through out the fall and winter, but I still felt very "skinny fat", and my fitness was not where I needed it to be.  I was starting to get tapped out and taken over when I grappled my adult students which hurt my pride a lot!  So I made a decision that I needed to change and stick with it this time! I needed to cut the crap and do something drastic!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri