Skip to main content

How To Spot a Fad Diet

Well Hello there! 
It certainly has been a while since I have popped up on the blog front!  To be honest, I missed it! So here I am!

I wanted to write about one of my favorite topics to rant about, the trap of the fad diets!

We all know someone who is probably currently on some sort of a obnoxiously restrictive new fad diet.  You'll know them because whenever you see them for dinner or drinks or in the Starbucks line you hear the phrase, "oh I'm on a new diet and I can't eat _____!" 
Annoying right!?  It seem like every 6 months your friend, lets call her Jane, is on some sort of a ridiculous diet hoping to magically lose weight or transform herself into some sort of a Kardashian/Heidi Klum hybrid.  
Jane talks constantly about how her new diet is so amazing and her cousin's friend's sister lost 50 lbs and met the love of her life and moved to Mexico all because of this new diet!!!  Meanwhile you sit there and think, is this for real?  How do I know if this is for real or not?

Well let me give you some hints about how to recognize a fad diet and that its not going to work!

1.  They claim that all obesity is caused by some food group or specific type of food and you must cut that food out immediately!

2.  It seems like EVERYONE is doing it.

3.  It requires some sort of expensive pills/shakes/magical fairy dust/performing an exorcist over a loaf of bread, etc,.

4.  Promises a quick fix!  "Lose 50lbs in 4 weeks!!!"

5.  Gives the impression that you can magically change your body's ph/chemistry/blood type/skin color all with this new diet.

6.  Uses the words "detox" or the phrase "your body is toxic"

7.  Has extreme rules that do not allow for treats or fun at all!

8.  You feel like you would hate your life on that diet.

9.  Uses any of the following phrases
     - "Miracle Breakthrough"
     - "what your doctor won't tell you"
     - "Nutritionists don't really know anything"
     - "Your body is too alkaline/acidic"
     - "Known to cure cancer"

10.  Makes any sort of claims just based on testimonials.

If you see any of these signs about a new "miracle" diet, RUN, AND RUN FAST!!!
Nutrition isn't really all that complicated.  We all know what it really takes to eat healthier, so just do it!  There is sadly no magical cure or fix. 
 Is it easy? No.  
Is it worth it? Yes! 
 Is there a way to find balance between eating healthy and enjoying treats?  OH HELL YES!! 

So don't make it so complicated! 

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri