Skip to main content

10 Inconvenient Truths About Fitness

I've been on my own fitness journey for a few years now, and it has not always been easy or pretty!  I  like to talk about the great things fitness has done for my life, and I very rarely talk about the annoying things about fitness.

Here is my list of inconvenient and annoying things I found out along the way.

1.  You need to be consistent
     Sadly, lifelong results only come when you actually stick to your plan.  You will never see long-term results without a long-term commitment.  Changing your body and health requires a full lifestyle do-over.  So consistency is key.

2.  Your diet really does matter
     Yes, I know, this is just plain unfair but its true.  Especially unfair considering all the cheese, pies, cakes, chocolate, pasta and bread there are in the world!  But sadly, those don't exactly all add up to the greatest results.  I am not saying don't enjoy those things, but keep them as treats now and then and you will appreciate them a lot more.

3.  Cardio will always suck!
     Unless you are one of those crazy people who like running, for most normal people, cardio blows!  I have never been a cardio bunny, and even now, I still hate it.  That being said, it is a necessary evil.  It will get better as time goes on and you stick to it- but it will never become fun.

4.  You'll have results quicker in the beginning than later on.
     You always hear how the last 5-10 pounds are the hardest to lose, and it is most definitely true.  In the beginning, your body loses weight much easier because of the diet change and working out is new.  As time goes on, your body gets smart and your metabolism adjusts, so you have to work harder to lose those last bit to get to your goal.

5.  You will hit plateaus.
     Plateaus are inevitable, just like I said before, your body gets smarter and more efficient at your workouts.  That means that you might get stuck at a certain spot for a while.  You won't be stuck at one for forever; if you make some changes to your diet and workout plans, you'll bust through it.

6.  You will eventually feel unmotivated.
     As time goes on, the routine of eating healthy and working out gets a little dull, and you will find yourself wanting to sleep in rather than hit the gym.  It's not too big of a deal, as long as you don't let yourself slip off.  When feeling unmotivated, you can try to switch things up; do a different workout, try a class, etc.  If you are feeling too tired like you can't possibly make it to another workout, try taking a day off and resting.  You may find that the next day you have more motivation to hit your workouts.

7.  Alcohol can impair your results.
     Again with the unfairness!  The truth is, guzzling booze isn't the greatest for your weight loss goals.  A glass of wine or two a night doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but it can add up and put you out of your calorie deficit for the day and impair weight loss.  I am not saying you can't ever have a drink, but you'll have to cut back to see results.  On the upside, as time goes on, you will become a cheap drunk!

8.  You'll cherish sleep more than ever.
      With fitting in workouts, cooking and meal planning, it can suck up quite a bit of time, and energy.  Sleep will be more loved than ever, especially if you have kids and you are working on your fitness and health goals (p.s I salute you!).  I know for myself, after morning workouts, working all day and then training Ju Jitsu in the evenings a couple times a week, my sleep is very important to me.

9.  Getting sick and missing workouts feels like the worst thing that could ever happen.
     It seems silly, but I find that if I get sick and have to take a few days off, it feels like the end of the world.  Before when I was sick, all I had to worry about was how I wanted to get better; now I worry about missing workouts and feeling crappy and unmotivated.  Is it the end of the world to miss a couple days to rest and recover? No, but it feels like it!

10.  Your clothes will start to fit weird after a while.
      Sounds strange, but it is true.  Once I started lifting and gaining muscle, I found my shirts were too small in the shoulders; and finding long sleeve shirts that fit my arms and my body are very hard to find.  For jeans, I found they got tighter around my thighs and butt, and then I have a big gap around my waist because it's too big for me.


                                           ... And the worst inconvenient truth of all....

Want to stay up to date with exclusive Fit Like a Girl content, offers and deals? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri