Skip to main content

First Week of Recovery

Last Thursday (Sept 1st) was the fateful day for my bilateral ACL reconstruction surgery. It's been an interesting week of recovery this far.
My surgery went well, but I did have a bit of a long recovery in the hospital.  I spent a long time in recovery because I was apparently very sensitive to anesthetic.  Every time I would fall asleep in the recovery room, my breathing would slow down too much and my oxygen stats would fall and alarms would go off!  Then the nurses would come and wake me up and say, "Jackie, you HAVE to breathe!"  Oops, I guess I forgot.
  When I finally got back to my room, my poor husband had been waiting for over two hours for me since they told him I was awake.  I wasn't sent home until the evening because I was quite nauseated, so they gave me Gravol which knocked me out for the afternoon.  When I finally was awake enough, it started getting painful.  They offered me Morphine (they couldn't give it to me earlier because of my breathing) but if I took that, I'd have to stay an hour longer.  Knowing I clearly am sensitive to drugs, I declined because I knew that I would be there for way longer than an hour.  I just took my take home meds and toughed it out on the drive home.  I was so tired, all I wanted was to go home.

The next few days after my surgery I spent mainly on the couch on pain medications.  I spent all day (and night) on the couch for the first five days. Sleeping on the couch got a little old, especially since I made a big indent in the couch so I was sitting on the frame of the couch after about three days. Which was ok because backside was numb from sitting after day two!  After that, I've been able to sleep in my bed and managed to turn on my side.  I do have to have a folded blanket under my legs to keep my knees slightly bent because having them straight for an extended period of time does get uncomfortable.  

My pain has been well managed which I am very grateful for.  The pain after surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still not entirely comfortable.  The medications they sent me on worked wonders for the first few days.  My pain was under control and I happier than a clam!  By  Sunday, the meds started to make me sick and I spent the better part of Sunday and Monday very nauseated and sick.  By the time Monday had come around, I hardly ate anything due to feeling so nauseated; so I switched to just over the counter pain medications and stuck to those.  Even with OTC pain meds, my pain has been under control.  So lesson learned, I will never be a very good drug addict!

They had me starting simple exercises the day after surgery to help my range of motion.  I started out with very passive movements like trying to bend my knees and squeezing my quad muscles to try and force my legs straighter.  Right now it is mostly about re-training my brain and legs to work together.  Meaning when I want to contract my leg muscles I have to focus very hard on making sure the muscles actually do what they are supposed to do.  Sounds silly, but it was surprisingly difficult.  It is amazing how atrophied my muscles were after surgery, when not even 10 days ago, all these things were so simple.
On Thursday I started seeing the Physiotherapist again.  I feel like we are going to be spending a lot of time together over the next year.  My goals at this moment are the same, getting the range of motion back, including fully extending the leg and flexing them.
I am still on crutches right now, I honestly thought I would be off them by now.  At this moment, I am using them more for steadying myself as I walk.  I am getting around a lot easier now which is good.  They do not want me to be walking until I can walk normally otherwise I risk teaching myself bad habits.  I can hobble around the kitchen or bathroom where I can hold onto counters to steady myself.  I am hoping by next week I can walk on my own, that is my goal.  

I am not used to is how much help I've needed. Even to do simple things like go to the washroom for the first few days required help. However, after about day three, I could figure it out on my own.  Even finding clothes to wear or dishing myself dinner had to be left to someone to help because I couldn't reach down or stand very long at first. Now, I can dish myself dinner, but I need someone to bring it to me because I cannot carry a plate and crutch at the same time.  At the moment, I can only stand for maybe 10 minutes before my legs get tired.  I am determined to be slowly more independent.  I was proud of myself the other day because I made myself breakfast and coffee.  I put the breakfast in a container with a lid and my coffee in my spill proof coffee mug and carried them in a grocery bag to the couch.  The other day I also was able to clean the floors a bit by walking around with my Swiffer in one hand and my crutch in the other and I walked around the living room and kitchen.  Its all about the little "wins" here!  I am far too stubborn to be relying on people.
That being said, it has been awesome having everyone be so supportive, especially my mom and husband.  They are the real MVP's!

All in all, this experience so far hasn't been too bad.  I have just entered the beginning of rehab so I know it will be more challenging from here.  I know I will have a hard time with feeling good, but still unable to do stuff.  I miss Ju Jitsu and going to the gym for sure and in a sick, twisted way, I even miss work a little bit.
I am hoping to head back to the gym soon to do even just upper body and core stuff, but I will discuss with my PT this week on what I can/can't do.  I want to try my hardest to do this right.  I know people who got this surgery, did not do their physio, and not do as well.  I also know people who did too much, too quick because they felt good, and impair their progress.  So I will do my best to figure out my "just right" amount of physio and activity.

    Some pictures of the first few days!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri