Skip to main content

My Reasons for Having a "Treat Day/Meal"

Over the past year an a half, I've been trying to master the balance between sticking to proper eating and allowing myself a treat now and then.  I find personally that giving myself a "binge weekend" usually leads to an off week where I tend to have a harder time sticking to my diet.  That being said, if I don't give a little, then what is the point of even living.  Maybe a little bit dramatic, but you get my point.

I've made it pretty clear all along that I love food.  I have a big appetite and I enjoy cooking and of course anything with bread, pasta or cheeses- I am in!  I do enjoy my veggies and eating properly does make me feel better.  I find if I have a week or weekend where I eat like crap, I start to feel like crap and I actually crave healthy foods again.

I feel like I have ironed out some of the kinks when it comes to my diet, but I am far from perfect.  Some days I go from, "I don't want a cookie" to "I ate the whole box of Oreos" in about five minutes.  That being said, I do feel like I have improved.  During the week, I eat like clock work and stick to what works for me.  Saturdays, I usually live a little bit and Sundays I try to get back to schedule, but sometimes it doesn't always workout the way I want to.  Again, some of the kinks have been worked out, but not all.

I've done some reading about the benefits of a treat meal or alternatively a re-feed.  There are definite guidelines that classifies a re-feed.  From my readings, I have gathered that a re-feed is usually an increase in calories, mainly carbs, that helps jump start the metabolism.  Alternatively, a cheat, or treat as I like to call it, is really anything goes.  I love the idea of a re-feed, I get to increase the hell out of carbs and usually eat a big pasta dinner.  Alternatively, sometimes I just want to eat a whole pizza to myself and drink a beer or two, which I am pretty sure does not classify as a re-feed!  So yes, once a while, I will treat the crap out of myself and do just that.  But it does not happen often!

I like to stray from my diet once in a while just to feel like I am a little more human again and so I can really enjoy the things I do love.  I also find that having a meal or two on weekends that isn't on my usual meal plan helps motivate me to keep on track.  Believe it or not, I find it helps to focus during the week and I will think to myself, "just power through the week, then Saturday you get to go out and have a sweet dinner!"  Being able to look forward to something on the weekends sure does help.
I've seen a quote that said something like "One meal won't make you fat, just like one salad won't make you skinny!"  I think that is undeniably true!  I would say I have a pretty good balance of about 90% eating properly and 10% treating myself.  You have to be able to enjoy the foods you love, but you also have to take you health and goals into consideration.  You will likely not lose weight or reach your goals eating pizza, fries and cheeseburgers and one salad a week; but you would also be miserable if you do not budge a little here and there.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri