Skip to main content

Training With Two Bum Knees

Since I have hurt my knees, I get asked quite a bit "are you still training and working out?"  For some people it is out of general curiosity; and for others, the question comes with a tone of voice that says, "you're an idiot!"

In all honesty, in some ways my training regime has changed a lot and in others it hasn't.  For example, cardio- I can't run, but I can use the spin bike and I am cleared to do stairs for the time being.  I absolutely loathe swimming lengths in a pool, so that is not something I will willingly partake in.  I used to use grappling a lot for cardio, but that really isn't much of an option at this point.  So the form that I do cardio has changed a lot, but I still get it done!
For my regular workouts, I have been able to do upper body and core stuff as usual.  Some things were difficult at first, like planks or anything requiring me to have straight legs.  Now that I have most of my leg extension back, I can do almost any exercise involving core and upper body.
My leg workouts have changed a bit, I am still doing leg days.  Even after I hurt my first knee, I was able to get myself lifting heavier and better than I was before I hurt my knees!  Now, after my second knee, I am back to lifting a little lighter, just so I can make sure my form is good.  I've found that when my body has been favoring a knee, it affects my form with my squats and dead lifts, because my hips shift to one side.  So I've decreased the weight a little bit so I can make sure my form is proper before lifting heavy again.  I was told that I could do squats and leg press and work heavy.  That being said, I have to make sure I have proper form first and that there is no pain.  Makes sense to me.

And please remember, this is only my experience with two damaged knees, not everyone will be the same.

Ju Jitsu training, as I have said many times, has not been what I would like it to be.  For drills, I can do some of them, but I am very picky about who I work with because I can't get hurt.  Rolling, I can only do a little bit, and anything more than 5% rolling is out of the question.  This past two weeks, I have been able to do a little bit of boxing, which has been going quite well.  As long as I pay attention to where my legs are and don't do any jumping around, I am good!  It made me very happy to be able to do some boxing and get my mind back in the game a little bit, and I discovered a few things.  I figured out quickly that I need to work on my boxing more, because it is not where I would like it to be.  I found that my jabs are slow and according to my brother, my hooks need some work-but that is ok, because it gives me goals.  I also realized how long it has been since I did boxing and after doing some last Thursday and Friday- Holy Cow did I ever hurt for about 3 days afterwards!  I guess I haven't been doing any of that stuff in a while, so my muscles really aren't used to it.  As crazy as it sounds, I actually liked that I was sore, because it meant I was working and improving.

So, I have been able to train with my two bum knees, I've just had to modify my workouts and training slightly or concentrate on different things.

And on that note, it is flex Friday and the long weekend! Have a great weekend everyone! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri