Skip to main content

Tips for Women Starting Ju Jitsu

I've previously wrote a list of tips for women starting their own fitness journey (read about it here if you haven't yet!)  I thought I would keep the list trend going and do one for the girls who are interested in Ju Jitsu or are newbies to the sport.

When I first started Ju Jitsu almost 15 years ago, I had a good idea about what I was getting into.  My brother had been in the sport already for a few years, and I spent a lot of time watching his classes and tournaments.  That being said, as a girl there were a few learning curves for me that were much different than what my brother had to learn for himself.  I thought I'd pass the lessons on that I previously learned!

Here's my list of tips for girls who are interested in or starting out in Ju Jitsu.

1.  Don't be intimidated by a "man's sport"
     Ju Jitsu and other martial arts are becoming increasingly more popular as people recognize and hear about the sport much more often thanks to MMA and the UFC.  When you first walk into the gym or dojo, its a bit of a scary scene.  The first thing you'll see is a bunch sweaty dudes throwing each other around, and you have to try and figure out how in the hell you're going to fit in!  It's ok, just get in there and try!  After the first few classes, you'll realize it's not so bad, but it is going to require a lot of work!

2.  There won't be a lot of women in your class.
      Ju Jitsu isn't exactly what I would classify as the most popular women's sport there is.  That being said, there are more women joining over the past ten years as it becomes more popular for girls.  It is getting to become a place for women thanks to women like Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, and Meisha Tate (just to name a few) that are taking over the martial arts and MMA world.  Just don't expect your class to be a women's only class.  You're going to be rolling with the boys most of the time, so be prepared!

3.  Don't wear makeup during class.
     During class, you're going to be sweating and up close and personal with people.  In short, your makeup is going to rub off on other people or run and be sweaty and cakey.  It's a pain in the ass to try and wash makeup out of a gi or rashguard.  To respect your other student's I recommend removing makeup before class to avoid getting it all over everyone.  Most girls I see will wipe off their makeup before class, which is awesome.

4.  Your hair is going to be a mess... all. the. time!
      When you're rolling around on the mats and up close with your partners, your cute, messy bun will transform into sadistic Seduca-like hair (see picture below!).  I recommend braiding your hair into two or more braids to help it stay in place better, but trust me, your hair is just going to get messy after a few minutes of doing drills and drolling.  Also, for long hair, I recommend tying it way up because it can get stepped on.  I've been held down by my hair a few times sadly!

5.  Use what skills you have and what works!  
     What I am trying to say here is, do not try to out muscle the guys.  I am a fairly strong person, but I know I cannot bench a 200lb guy off of me when I am stuck in side control.  But I know I am fast, and generally quite flexible, so I use what I have.  Most girls' center of gravity is in their lower body, so keeping your knees bent and your hips low can help keep you on your feet during stand up.  It's about finding what works for you.  You have to learn how to "fight like a girl!"

6.  You're going to have to work harder than all the guys.
      This is a sad truth, but when I talk to all other girls in martial arts, most will agree with me.  To get to the level of skills a guy can get to in a year, a girl will have to work twice as hard to get there.  Why, well there are a few reasons.  One is that we generally aren't as strong as the guys are, and two you may not be taken as seriously at first.  Yes, it sounds sexist, but that's life, you're going to have to work hard for what you want if you are rolling with the boys.  This is the reason I believe it makes women so great at martial arts, we can appreciate all the time and effort it really takes to get to a high level!

7.  Don't expect special treatment.
     Just because you're a girl, does not mean you will be treated any different than anyone else in your class.  You are expected to do the same drills, do the same workouts and throw the same people.  There are no exceptions; you can't just flip your hair and bat your eyelashes and go "But, I'm a girl" because no one will ever take you seriously.  Trust me, it will make you a better martial artist, and a tougher person because you are treated equally to all the other students in your class.  If there is something you don't think you can do, give it your best shot and ask the instructor for help.

8.  There is no such thing as personal space!
      I find this is a huge obstacle for women to overcome.  In Ju Jitsu, there are a lot of awkward positions, you are up close and personal with everyone- including men- and they are often up in your business where it can get a little uncomfortable considering you just met this person a few minutes ago.  My recommendation, don't get caught up in the awkwardness of it all.  I see it a lot with girls who are fist starting out let it get the best of them.  They giggle like children about all the strange positions they are being put in and can't concentrate on the task at hand, which makes them impossible to teach.  Please don't be the giggly girl!  It is so hard to take someone seriously when they can't handle holding guard without breaking out into a giggle fit.  Keep your head in the game and concentrate on what you're doing.  Also, remember-good sports bra and avoid low cut tops that show cleavage!

9.  If you take it seriously, people will take you seriously.
     Dedication is the best way to get yourself respect.  You don't have to be the best, you can admit you're a newbie.  But if you show up consistently, respect your teacher and other students, put your head down and work hard- then you will earn the respect you deserve.  If you are flaky, don't show up in proper uniform, try to be a poser or giggle the whole class, then you're not going to get any respect from your fellow students.

10.  Bitches be crazy at tournaments.
     This is something I learned pretty quickly.  When you get to your first tournament, you'll be put in your divisions with other girls most likely.  They are all going to act friendly and be sweet to you, talk themselves down, tell you how nice your hair is, etc! Then when you get onto the mats, they are going to try and tear your head off!  I learned about this quickly and I let it get to my head; so for me, I avoid talking to the other girls until the matches are over.  I realize it may seem bitchy, but I can't allow them into my head.  I try to focus on the task at hand which is doing my best to win, not making friends.  I am not saying be a poor sport, respect your opponent whether you win or lose, give them props and be nice.

11.  It's a great way to meet someone!
     What better way to find friends or a guy (or girl!) than Ju Jitsu!?  I've met many lifelong friends who have become family to me through martial arts.  I can personally say it was the best way for me to meet someone, as my hubby and I met and got married all because of Ju Jistu!  You'll have a common interest, way to stay in shape and goals to work towards together.  It is also awesome to have your own personal cheerleader at each tournament standing beside the mats supporting your every move. It sure as hell beats swiping right on Tinder!

12.  You will develop confidence by becoming a total badass!
       One of the best things that I have ever gained from Ju Jitsu and training martial arts for the past 15 years (besides a badass armbar) is confidence in myself and my abilities.  Over the past 15 years of training Ju Jitsu, I have developed skills I never thought I'd be able to gain, won fights I never thought I would win and learned that I can accomplish whatever I want when I put my mind to it.  I love to see young girls train in this art and learn these lessons over time.  Ju Jitsu helped me become a better, more confident person on and off the mats.

So there you have it, a list of tips for women wanting to start out in Ju Jitsu.

A while ago, I also wrote a list of commandments to obey when you're in class and do's and don'ts of starting a martial art.  Check them out here Do's and Don'ts of Joining a Martial Art and my Top Ways to Annoy Your Ju Jitsu Instructor





Want to stay up to date with exclusive Fit Like a Girl content, offers and deals? 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri