Skip to main content

Changes I've Made On My Fitness Journey

I said in a recent post that it was around this time last year that I started my fitness journey.  It was a decision I made for my health and well-being, as well as to strive for my personal best in life.  Since last January, I've lost about 13 lbs-which isn't a whole lot, but in that I gained muscle mass and a better understanding about how to eat and workout.
I've made a lot of changes over the past year that have drastically improved my health and wellness.  I made up my mind one year ago that I would start a fitness routine and stick to it for good.  I promised myself I wouldn't quit working out in six weeks or start eating unhealthy again.  I had to make a lot of changes to make that happen.

Here is a list of changes in my life over the past year to get myself to where I am right now.

1.  Learning how to cook healthy and make it taste good..... Most of the time
       Its not that I didn't know how to cook.  I consider myself a pretty good cook.  We always ate at home most of the time because I enjoy cooking and making meals at home.  But it was learning how to change the things I was eating so that I could eat better and smarter.  Most of my attempts at making healthy meals have been successful; I haven't killed my husband yet-
so that's a good sign!

2.  Not relying on cardio as a workout
      I used to consider going for a run as a workout.  I mean why not?  It got my heart rate up, my legs would feel tired after and I was sweating.  I didn't realize that for so many great reasons that I was missing out on an important part of training which was strength training.  Once I started to strength train regularly and combine with the cardio, that was when I noticed the biggest change in my body overall.  Not only was I losing weight, but I started to gain muscle definition which was something I've never had before.  This leads me to my next point.

3.  Strength training regularly.... and NO, I didn't turn into a man!
      I was THAT girl who was scared to start lifting weights because I was concerned about looking too bulky, or like a man.  I started to research on how to achieve an athletic, toned body and I found that strength training was the way to go.  I reluctantly started lifting weights mixing it in with my cardio and within a couple of months, I was hooked.  I loved how I was gaining muscle definition and feeling stronger.  I loved lifting heavier and heavier and feeling like a badass after every workout!

4.  Started eating more vegetables than ever!
      I'm not saying that I didn't eat vegetables ever, just not nearly as much as I do now.  I started slowly by adding a small veggie bag and then adding more and more from there and eating less grains and fruit.  Why did I do this?  Well, the main reason why is that I get more bang from my buck with vegetables.  Veggies have carbs, are low calorie, full of wonderful vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and fiber to keep you full (and regular!).  I am NOT saying that grains and fruits are the devil.  Just per gram, vegetables have less calories, therefore I can eat more!  I can eat a pound of veggies (literally, depending on my appetite) for dinner with my protein, its a lot of food which helps satisfy my big appetite.  By doing this, I feel more full, and therefore happy!  If I ate the same amount of grains, I would feel full, but then I am taking in a huge excess of calories. This all being said, it leads me to my next point!

5.  Learning that carbs are great!
      Before I started reading more about nutrition (and in no way am I an expert!) trying to understand it better, I was confused about the carb debate.  I love carbs in any form, bread, pasta, fruit, veggies, you name it!  So when I started to read all the stuff online about cutting carbs, gluten is bad, etc, I had a hard time believing that was the right thing to do.  I started to look more into the actual function of carbs in your body and realized that they are and essential macronutrient.  I have been learning about what exactly is a carb and when to use them.  I didn't stop eating grains and fruit, I just learned when to use them for the best benefits.  I'm starting to understand more about pre/post workout and re-feed days.

6.  Feeling happier and more confident
      This has been a slow progression over my fitness journey.  I can't really say I was the girl with no self-esteem and I never was the type to hate myself.  I just found over this past year, I have gained more confidence in myself and my abilities.  One year ago, I wasn't satisfied with my level of fitness and my Ju Jitsu skills and now I am happy with my improvement.  I feel happy with how I look as well as happy with my life overall right now.  That feeling of happiness is what drives me to go forward, I don't do this because I am punishing myself; I do this because it makes me happy.  I love the feeling after a great workout where I am tired, but high on endorphins.

7.  Better and smarter fighter
      This is something that I will continually improve on as time goes on.  I have noticed that compared to last year at this time, I think a lot more when I fight now.  Whether it was grappling or sparring; before, I would just react, which usually didn't always go so well.  I've worked on becoming a smarter fighter and thinking as I go along.  I try to anticipate things more often and I am getting braver at going for takedowns or submissions.  Again, I still have a long way to go, but I am better then I was!

8.  I sleep better
      I am pretty sure this is a result of my hectic lifestyle, but I sleep so much better now compared to a year ago.  There are still the occasional nights of restlessness, but they are pretty few and far between.  I focus more on getting to bed early for my early morning workouts.  I am the type of person that needs a lot of sleep, otherwise I turn into a moody, crazy person- just ask my husband!

9.  Black coffee is actually pretty good
      This is pretty minor, but I felt it is important.  I used to drink cream and sugar with a bit of coffee in it practically every day.  I noticed that the amount of cream and crap I put in my coffee was not doing me any benefits, but I still loved my coffee.  So I decided to slowly phase out the cream and sugar.  It took me a while and some getting used to, but I did it.  I enjoy coffee, so I refuse to cut it out completely; but now I appreciate it much more.  I can now tell the difference between great coffee and crap that tastes like burning.

10.  Sharing my journey with the world
       It was quite exciting to decide to share in my fitness journey with others.  Starting from being super annoying on my personal Facebook page, to creating this blog, to creating Fit Like A Girl.  I want to inspire other girls out there who are like me.  Maybe they want to do power lifting, maybe they want to start a martial art, get healthy and fit, or any other goal.  I want to help others see their own potential and strive for what they want.  I don't just want to empower and motivate women, I want them to empower and motivate themselves.  I hope that in any way, I can help girls push for better in their own lives so they can help others too!

I've made a lot of changes over the past year, and I am a person who does not like change.  That being said, I am all for changes that will benefit my life.  I am loving this journey and learning as I go along.  I've found things that are working for me, and things that did not work for me.  I can't wait to see how different things are in another year and compare myself to this year. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri