Skip to main content

COVID 19: Stress & Anxiety Management


Ok, so does anyone else feel like the world is on fire?  Yep, we are all in agreeance, ok! 

These past few days have been hell-raising for anxiety and stress for everyone.  Uncertainty of jobs, schools closing, scrambling to find childcare, and on top of that anytime someone coughs, it makes you feel like you're going to have a heart attack.  Good for mental health isn't it?

Like the rest of us, I too am feeling the stress and my anxiety has been high over the last few days.  So I decided to take some steps to help alleviate and manage my anxiety and I thought I would share some of these with you because we can all use a little help right now!

Tips on how to manage Anxiety during this COVID19 situation:

1. Minimize social media scrolling.
     The great thing about social media is how fast news can be delivered now.  BUT over the past day or two, I found myself scrolling into the social media rabbit hole of news feeds, comment sections.  Talks of closures, empty grocery stores, people not being able to pay their bills, etc caused me some great anxiety and feelings of helplessness.  So I am taking steps to minimize the "scrolling"

2. A home to-do list.

     Since I am going to be spending more time at home over the next little while, I am making myself a "chore" list of stuff that I've been putting off (here's looking at you full laundry baskets that need to be folded and put away!) that I will tackle to keep myself off social media (see #1!)

3. Get outside for a walk!  

     Luckily the weather around the YEG area is getting better, so I plan to get outside this week, walk my pupper and get some Vitamin D!

4. Call some friends.
     Be aware friends and clients, I will be checking in with you constantly!  While we are in this state of physical distance and isolation from people, talking to friends and family, FaceTiming, etc will help us feel more connected and talking through feelings will help alleviate feelings of isolation and stress.

5.  Stay active!
     Yep!  Now is one of the most important times to stay active and on top of your health, not only for the physical benefits but the mental as well.  As much as it seems to be a good idea to hide away under blankets and self soothe with Oreos, it is counteractive to helping you feel better longterm.  The best thing you can do is stay on top of your fitness and health. 

6. List 5 things you're grateful for every day.

    When shit seems to be going crazy and out of our control, it's easy to focus on the negatives, which only increases panic.  So daily, write down a list of things that make you happy, what made you smile today, what are you grateful down to the core for! This will help put things in perspective during this crazy time.  


Friend, I don't have all the answers right now and I have no idea how this is all going to play out, but what I do know is that it will eventually come to an end.  Life will eventually go back to normal, even if there is zero light at what seems to be the beginning of a long, dark tunnel.  

A little Chuck Norris humour for your day!


Want to stay up to date with exclusive Fit Like a Girl content, offers and deals? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri