Skip to main content

Tips for Postpartum Mamma's Returning to Fitness

In these past months of my postpartum journey, I have learned so much about my body and what it is capable of doing.  It really is a marvel seeing first hand what a woman's body goes through with a pregnancy, birth, and healing postpartum.  

Although I do not consider myself an expert in pregnancy or postpartum fitness, I do have some tips gathered through my own research and personal experience as well as from other fellow fitness professionals who are experts in this game.  

1. Before birth: Seek help from a pelvic floor physiotherapist while you are pregnant!
     Who would have thought pelvic floor issues (think urinary incontinence, weakness, etc) can happen during pregnancy?  But after all, when you do have a small being sitting directly on your pelvis and using your bladder as a kick-target for months, you may experience some symptoms!  Hence why seeking help from a pelvic floor physiotherapist during pregnancy can help prepare you for any symptoms as well as prepare for labour and birth once you start reaching the endgame in the third trimester.




2. Post Birth: Rest and let your body heal!  
      Your body literally just went through an extremely traumatic event!  You likely have sutures in a super uncomfortable place, or maybe you had a c-section and your incisions and muscles need to heal!  Not only that but your body is also ridding of the excess blood and fluid for the next 3-6 weeks!  Don't forget about the little human you are now in charge of (nevermind if you have more than one)... you're going to want to feed that thing often... good luck sleeping... oh and here's a squirt bottle, you'll be fine...
I know, TMI but its the truth and well we've gotta talk about this!  I too was very anxious to return to exercise, to return to any sense of normalcy in my life.  But give yourself time and don't return to exercise unless cleared by your doctor or physiotherapist.  




3. Before the gym: Get your Diastasis Recti assessed by a professional

      You might be thinking: "My Dia-what-a?"  
When you're pregnant, your body has to accommodate for the growth of the baby, so as your stomach grows, your abdominal muscles separate apart, known as Diastasis Recti.  It is totally normal and after birth, those muscles don't exactly snap back together immediately.  So you should be assessed either by a doctor, physiotherapist or personal trainer who specializes in postpartum care, to check how severe your separation is and can help you learn how to engage your core muscles again properly.  If you don't learn how to properly engage the core, it can create a "doming" effect when you use your core for a sit up for example.  Some women have a severe separation, through no fault of their own, and may need more care and attention.




4. Before the gym: Seek help from a pelvic floor physiotherapist (part 2)
    Yes, go see a pelvic floor physiotherapist before and after birth!  They can give you a recommendation as for how long to wait for post-birth to go see them, but generally, 5-7 weeks post-birth is a great time.  A good physiotherapist will discuss your experience with giving birth, how you've been feeling and do an assessment (yep, up close and personal so just be mentally prepared for that!) of your pelvic floor and give you exercises (yep!) and work with engagement.  Remember it's NOT normal to pee yourself and sex shouldn't hurt!  If you experience either of that or anything else, go get an assessment done, you'll thank me later ;)


Remember: This is NOT OK!! There is help!


5. Going to the gym: Take it slow!

     Even if you are like me and pretty experienced in the gym and exercised during your whole pregnancy, going back to the gym post-pregnancy is different.  You'll feel weaker, you'll get tired fast, and you'll think WTF this is not me.  Just take it slow.  My first workout back in the gym literally was only about 4 or 5 different exercises, I still couldn't run, my boobs hurt because I was away from my baby for more than an hour and I felt so weak and fatigued.  I don't think I even broke a sweat, but when I was done I felt great.  Don't think you're going to hit the gym like you did pre-pregnancy, you'll only feel discouraged and frustrated.  Focus on going in, moving your body, proper core engagement and enjoy your time by yourself for a little bit!


First postpartum workout!

6. Moving forward: Consider help from a trainer
     It never hurts to seek help from a trainer who has experience or specializes in postpartum.  They can help you with proper form and core engagement as well as help you modify any exercises you may need.




7. Moving forward part 2: Be patient with yourself!
     Remember, it took 9 months for your body to grow a human and it caused some really big changes to your body and your life!  Many women feel discouraged and frustrated when they aren't back in shape after 2 months or even 6 months or more!  Be patient with yourself.  Remember that slow progress is always better than no progress and you just need to allow your body time to heal and strengthen again.  



Getting back into fitness after having a baby is 100% doable.  But it does take a lot of patience, time and care.  Many women feel their bodies are "broken" postpartum, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  Your body has changed yes, but you are not broken!  


Want to stay up to date with exclusive Fit Like a Girl content, offers and deals? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Deal With Protein Powder?

If you look the majority of fitness or body building Facebook pages, Instagram feeds or websites, you'll see a bunch of confusing jargin! Take this supplement, take this fat burner, drink this fit tea, do this detox.  Don't forget Vitamin, A, E, D, B1, B12, Glutamine, Creatine, etc.  Its insane the amount of pills and things that the fitness industry brings about. I am not one takes a bunch of supplements, fat burners or a bunch of vitamins and minerals.  There are several health and scientific evidence as to why I don't do that; but in short I just don't have the need to.  I am not a serious body building competitor, and it seems like a lot of effort to boot! I take really only two "supplements" with my workouts; BCAA's during my workouts and protein powder after.  I will talk about protein powder for today and touch base on BCAA's later. I started reading into protein powders a little more lately because I knew I wanted valid information to wri